Tim Keller is the Founding Pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City and the author of numerous books.
The application and facilitation of biblical, spiritual revival.
The reason we’re not reproducing churches like we should is because we’re not alive.
Being a reproducing churches is what you are, not just what you do.
Explosive reproduction happens in revival.
16 DYNAMICS OF BIBLICAL, SPIRITUAL REVIVAL
3 Instruments of Revival (We have control over)
1. A recovery of the difference between the gospel and religion.
Religion is the attitude that says, “I obey God, therefore I’m accepted.”
This person comes to church out of fear.
These people are trying to control God.
They feel God owes them because they’ve ‘paid their taxes.’
Most churches are filled with this type of person.
The gospel says, “I’m accepted by God through the sacrifice of Christ, therefore I obey.”
This person comes to church out of desire.
2. A return to extraordinary, corporate prayer.
3 Aspects of Revival (We have no control over)
1. Nominal church members get converted.
When traditional people have never really experience regeneration, understand the difference between religion and the gospel they tell everyone.
This causes numbers of others to come under conviction and to follow.
2. Sleepy Christians wake-up.
They understand in their head that Jesus is their Savior, but in their heart they look to human approval, or other things as their functional Savior.
Jesus is their intellectual Savior, but not their functional Savior.
They begin to sense the reality of Christ on their heart.
They begin to make Jesus their functional Savior.
3. Evangelism taking place outside of programs.
6 Balances of Revival (These are partially controllable)
1. A strong emphasis on edifying worship.
2. A strong emphasis on great teaching & preaching.
3. A strong emphasis on life-changing community.
4. A strong emphasis on evangelism.
5. A strong passion for justice and the poor.
6. There is cultural engagement.
You look at the culture and ask, “How can we make in impact?”
Revival makes it impossible to seal off their lives from Christ.
4 Results of Revival (We have no control over)
1. There’s always a luny fringe.
2. There’s always a backlash.
3. There are a lot of churches planted.
4. There is real social healing.
As important as revival is, no revival lasts forever.
We have to be careful not to get too anxious, because ultimately there is only one revival that will bring ultimate healing – it’s called ‘the New Heaven and the New Earth’.