I’m teaching this week at our MCM Ministry School on the topic of church planting, one of my favorite topics to teach about! With that said, here are a few of my notes from yesterday’s session on the foundation of church planting:
The world doesn’t need more churches for the sake of new churches. They need them for the sake of their spiritual renewal.
- God’s Heart to change cities & communities, not plant churches.
- The goal with church planting is not simply existence, but transformation.
- Matthew 28:19, “Therefore go and make disciples…”
- It has been proven that evangelism happens most rapidly in new church plants, especially in the first 3-5 years.
- If this is the case, then church plants have the potential to create a lot of disciples.
- If our mission is to go and make disciples, then why not use the greatest tool God has given us to do so, the Church?
Building the church is at the heart of God.
- Matthew 16:18, “And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”
- It is God who will build His church…we are given the unique privilege of joining Him in this great mission.
- When Jesus ascended to heaven, he sent the comforter, the Holy Spirit to help his disciples change the known world. The vehicle that God then established to do this was the Church, the Bride of Christ.
Thanks for posting this, Nick! I love the fact that I feel re-focused every time I check out your blog. Thanks!!