Well, it’s now official – the Penguins are playing the Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals. Having spent a summer in the Detroit area doing my internship I feel qualified to give my “10 Reasons Why the Red Wings are Going to Lose”:
- The Red Wings have the highest average age of any NHL team – 31.6!
- The Red Wings are from…Detroit. Enough said.
- Their fans throw octopus on the ice – the closest body of water to Detroit is Lake Erie – there are no octopus in Lake Erie!!
- The Pens have Crosby and Malkin – the Red Wings have Zetterberg and Franzen (those names will never be household names-most people can’t even pronounce them!).
- The Red Wings can’t even sell out their arena for playoff games!
- Detroit has Michigan-Lefts (sorry, still a deep frustration!).
- Detroit’s top scorer, Johan Franzen, has been out since the Red Wings 2nd round against the Colorado Avalanche – compare this to the the Pens whose first two lines are led by two of the top hockey players in the world (40 points in 14 postseason games)!
- The Penguins not only have a high-powered offense, they also allow an NHL-best 1.86 goals per game.
- The Red Wings have stumbled into the Finals barely beating the Dallas Stars. While the Penguins have dominated every team they’ve played throughout the playoffs!
- With the Red Wings aging, the Pens have seen a lot of success throwing in their ‘secret weapon’ – the 4th line. This has kept them fresh and quick at the end of the game – something that can surely frustrate the rAging Red Wings!
With that all said, Pittsburgh fans are out in force. While I don’t doubt Detroit has a few dedicated fans, we are Pittsburgh and we travel! So look out Detroit – the black and gold are invading!!